By Gail Stolzenburg
Have you ever been told you need to change your mindset?
Why is that important to your networking success?
What is a mindset?
An established set of attitudes held by someone. The collection of things you believe or assume, consciously or not, that influences how you meet your needs, how you feel, how you think and approach things, and ultimately your actions and outcome.
Carol Dweck, a Stanford psychologist and the author of Mindset: The New Psychology of Success says there are two types of mindset: Fixed and Growth. “A fixed mindset assumes that our character, intelligence, and creative ability are static givens which we can’t change A “growth mindset” on the other hand, thrives on challenge and sees failure not as evidence of unintelligence but as a heartening springboard for growth and for stretching our existing abilities.
What are the qualities of someone with a Healthy Mindset?
- They keep the focus on you and eliminate me, my, mine, we, us, ours. They only care about themselves.
- They ask probing questions. You need to find the pain and have solutions for them
- They know there is no chance that everyone can be a customer
- They always include a story about a customer who had a similar problem their prospect can relate to
- They never waste your time. They provide value and quality information.
- They never try to convince you to eat shrimp if you are allergic to sea food.
- They read one non-fiction book a week and take self-improvement courses, always taking notes
- They focus on networking every day.
Why is your mindset so important?
Listen to the questions people ask when you are networking! If they say things like “Why is this always happening to me? Or, Why am I unable to get ahead?” They have a Fixed Mindset and you should spend less time with them. On the other hand, if that say, “How can I improve on that” or, Where can I find out about that?” They have a Gowth Mindset and you should develop a business relationship.
It is so important to focus on your Target Market while networking. Determine who would be your best prospect and lern what is keeping them awake at night. Know at least three charistics about them and focus o them during your introcduction. We know people make the decision on whether to continue the conversation within a couple seconds.
They need to convince themselves you are the best person so spend their money with. If you are networking online they need to see you are confident and an expert in your field. And, always have a call to action such as offering a free report, a book, an article, etc. These are all part of developing your mindset. If you are unsure of yourself, how do you think your prospect feels?
Eventially it is your mindset that will determine how you respond and the success you will have. The more you develop your mindset, the better life you will have with more opportunities and better relationships.
Here are the quickest ways to change a mindset by Tom “Big Al” Schreiter. Master Networker
1. We can change our mindsets in one second and there is no cost. It’s free to do.
2. Instead of letting our mindsets control us, here is a chance to determine our future
3. Our first surprise is that nature gives us a negative mindset. We have programs that fear everything. Nature wants us to survive. Surviving is good, but achieving is great. And what about others? Can they affect our mindsets? Certainly, if we let them. Here are some ideas to help you change your mindset and become a better networker.
4. Set an intention to remain positive, learn a skill and create a Healthy Mindset
5. Find things that make you happy – exercise, dark chocolate,
6. Taking action improves your mindset! Make a call, do a follow up, reply more personal, make a commitment
7. Ask “what is the worst thing that could happen?” Then take one tiny action step and do it now
8. Ask “if you never make a change, what will happen”
9. Read books on mindset. Two of the best books on mindset are Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill and Secrets to Mastering Your Mindset by Tom “Big Al” Schreiter
So, change your mindset and see more networking success!