By Debbie Roman & Tyler Turner, Founders of TYDE Mind & Body
Our businesses are part of us. We’ve sacrificed a lot creating them, especially so much of our time. Suddenly you are working 60 to 70 hours a week building greatness with endless meetings, emails, and phone calls. Focusing on your health becomes secondary at best, yet staying fit and healthy is critical to the health of your business. Maintaining a fitness regimen will help you to reduce stress, increase energy levels, build a more confident self-image, and stay on top of your game seven days a week!
Here are some strategies that can help you stay fit and healthy while running a small business:
- Make Exercise Fun and Part of Your Business Strategy
- Avoid boring workouts by finding an activity that requires focus like a sport or high intensity functional training. Switching your mind from business to the activity will actually help you clear and reset when you are back at your desk.
- Take your research with you. Use technology to allow you to catch up on reading or research while getting in a good cardio workout on the treadmill.
- Above all, schedule your training. Placing your workouts on your calendar will force you to break away from your desk.
- Avoid Binging on Heavy Carbs
- At high stress points in the day, our bodies start to crave energy and our minds can drive us straight to a fast fix of heavy carbohydrates like fatty foods, sweets, or overeating at lunch time. You can combat this instinct by planning ahead.
- Instead of bowls of candy in the office, replace them with baskets of granola bars, apples, or oranges for quick snacks.
- Planning and preparing your meals the day before will allow you to pack healthy foods.
- Make Mental Fitness is a Priority
- It is just as important to maintain your mental health as it is to maintain your physical health. A fit mind will help you to concentrate and focus on building your dream.
- Focusing on the positive experiences that have gotten you this far can help improve your mood. Each day write down at least one thing that you are grateful for, such as a positive experience or an accomplishment of that day, and place it in a bowl or jar. Whenever you feel down, just go back and take a look at all of the great things you’ve done or been a part of!
- Include fish oils from wild salmon, nuts such as walnuts, seeds such as flax seed, and olive oil in your diet. These foods can help protect the cell membranes and increase the supply of oxygen.
- Writing is a powerful tool. Expressing yourself in a journal after a stressful day can help you gain perspective. It can also unlock your creative side and allow you to see the solution or breakout idea you have been searching for.
Small business owners pour their heart and soul into their businesses. But if they don’t take care of that heart and soul, success will come at a high price or it may never come at all. We have to stay healthy as an obligation to our businesses. It sounds impossible, but if you incorporate your health and fitness into your business strategy then you will find a system that works for you.
Debbie Roman and Tyler Turner, founders of TYDE Mind & Body, have a reputation for delivering greatness. Using their own unique combination of personal training and coaching, they empower clients to transform their lives in a positive way and get the results they never thought possible. You can contact them by phone at 281-620-3703 or visit them on the web at www.TydeMindandBody.com.